Thursday, February 19, 2009

Across my desk: A Study of History

Today I was working on a copy of A Study of History by Arnold J. Toynbee (1957) and I randomly opened it to page 177 to see this:
"Of all the sombre ironies of history none throws a more sinister light on human nature than the fact that the new-style nationalist Jews, on the morrow of the most appalling of the many persecutions that their race had endured, should at once proceed to demonstrate, at the expense of Palestinian Arabs whose only offence against the Jews was that Palestine was their ancestral home, that the lesson learnt by Zionists from the sufferings which Nazis had inflicted on Jews was, not to forbear from committing the crime of which they themselves had been the victims, but to persecute, in their turn, a people weaker than they were."

I had two reactions upon reading this:

  1. I've had the same thought more than once. I doubt I'm alone.
  2. That is one long, wickedly rambling sentence.

No comments: