Tuesday, August 5, 2014

The Grand Comics Database

I've been a fan of the Grand Comics Database for about 15 years - it's long been my preferred source for looking up information on comic books. For a while now, I've been an indexer for the GCD and I'm actually enjoying it a lot; perhaps it's filling the void left in my life when I quit working for Marvel? As an outsider looking in, I just assumed the GCD was complete; looking closer, I began to see where gaps existed and I've been doing my best to fill gaps where I can. My specialty has long been Marvel Comics, which the GCD have pretty well covered; however, the smaller publishers need quite a bit of filling in and that fits with my refocused priority to prop up creators rather than corporations.

Perhaps my greatest contribution so far has been in the service of one of my favourite creators: fellow Canuck and all-around great guy James Turner. Having indexed all of his Rex Libris & Warlord of Io for the site over the last two weeks, the GCD has about 200% more Turner than it did before. It's the least I can do for someone nice enough to link to this blog on his own (also nice enough not bother me for naming this blog after a joke in his Rex Libris).

Anyway, don't be surprised if you see my name somewhere amongst the swirl of those hundreds who index at the GCD. Sapere Aude!

No comments: