Saturday, November 12, 2022

Rest in Peace: Kevin Conroy

Batman is dead. To be more accurate, Kevin Conroy is dead, at age 66; he passed away yesterday from cancer.

I may have mentioned in passing that, historically, I didn't care very much for Batman. I think, in fact, that the 1989 Batman movie was the product that, more than anything, made me dislike the character. And yet, that film paved the way for Batman: The Animated Series. I was reluctant to watch the show when it debuted - I think it had been on television for about 3 years by the time I finally gave it a real attempt. And I was stunned; I really enjoyed the show and through it I gained an appreciation for Batman in the comics and later, films; it became the definitive interpretation of Batman for me, the barometer by which I judged other Batman media.

I only followed Kevin Conroy's performance as Batman from Batman: The Animated Series to Justice League Unlimited (with Superman and Batman Beyond in-between). I know he portrayed Batman in other products but I haven't experienced them; I'm glad he was given those opportunities because he was truly the voice of Batman. The levels in his voice - from light-hearted Bruce to grim Batman and all the variances along the way - made him a dynamic lead character and it was always pleasant to hear him reprise the roles of Bruce Wayne and Batman.

I didn't know much about Kevin Conroy's life and career outside of his animated work. It was only in his obituary yesterday that I learned he was gay. I read his story "Finding Batman" from this year's DC Pride 2022 book - it's a short but moving autobiography of his life prior to becoming Batman and how he channeled his broken family, the AIDS epidemic and the hostility he encountered in the performing arts into his role as Batman. I'm not ashamed to say it made me cry.

Rest in peace, Kevin Conroy.

No comments: