Wednesday, September 30, 2026

25 Years of the Marvel Appendix - wrap-up!

Today the Marvel Appendix wraps up it's 25-year celebration! I wound up covering nearly 400 characters for the event! As I promised at the start of September, I won't link to all of them, but there are a number I'd like to highlight...

Here are a few of the characters I profiled who had been the stars of their own (obscure) features: Arrowhead (western hero); Buzz Brand (war hero); Battleship Burke (naval hero); Billy Buckskin (frontier hero); Captain Daring (sci-fi hero); Captain Strong (Foreign Legion hero); Captain Terror (super hero); Blaze Carson (western hero); Combat Casey (war hero); Combat Kelly (war hero); Rick Davis (spy hero); Dave Dean (1930s deep sea diving hero); Sgt. Dix (war hero); the Falcon (Burgess) (super hero); Fighting Yank (war hero); Flying Flame (aviation hero); Flash Foster (football hero); Don Gorman (aviation hero); Gunsmoke Kid (western hero); Red Hawkins (western hero); Rex Hart (western hero); Jeep Jones (humorous war hero); Jungle Boy (jungle hero); Kid from Dodge City (western hero); Kid from Texas (western hero); Magar the Mystic (magician hero); Molly Manton (romance heroine); Monako (magician hero); Barney Mullen (naval hero); Cookie Novak (Combat Kelly's sidekick); Rusty (Defender's sidekick); Sailor Sweeney (naval hero); Rocky Steele (boxing hero); Sam Storm (war hero); the Thunderer (Carstairs) (super hero); Waku (jungle hero)

Here's some profiles I put in some decent research to create: ARCH-E-5912 (Planet Hulk); Blur (D.P.7); Cat People (Tigra characters); Sally Clark (Wyatt Earp cast member); Queen Esther (Bible); Joe Grogan (My Girl Pearl cab driver); Phil Kane (Yellow Claw); Komodo (Avengers: The Initiative cast); the Manatelli Brothers (tumblers and war heroes); Manchuria Mary (communist agent); Monolith (2001: A Space Odyssey); General Olga (communist agent); Powersurge (Avengers character); Raiders (Iron Man foes); Slippery Sam (My Friend Irma character); Peter Spalding (Machine Man character); Star Sphere (Galactus' vehicle); Queen Ursula (American Ace foe); Daniel J. Whittier (Semper Fi character)

And here's profiles of things I just think are neat: Captain Sin (captain of El Cazador); Cool Breeze (G.I. Joe); Dark Angel (Shang-Chi character); Deviant Raiding Craft (very cool vehicle); Preston Dudley (Mountie spoof); Johannes Fliet (Casey, Crime Photographer foe); Aloysius P. Jamesley (Christopher Priest expy); Phanto Band (Blackstone the Magician foes); Prowlers (Wakandan robots); Ricochet Mobile (very silly vehicle); Victor-101 (Halo); Philip Nelson Voigt (Ultimates character); Larry Windham (Suspense); Zero/One (Red Hulk foe)

Originally I just wanted to get in a few dozen profiles for the event; I wound up writing so many and became so deeply involved that I wound up reactivating my responsibilities as an editor for the Marvel Appendix. It feels good to be back with my old Appendix friends and no doubt I'll wind up profiling many more obscure Marvel characters in the years to come. Happy 25th anniversary, you wonderful old website!

No comments: