Friday, August 14, 2009

Check out the Kidnapped hardcover

This recent release collects the Marvel Illustrated adaptation of Robert Louis Stevenson's novel Kidnapped, as rendered by Roy Thomas and Mario Gully. It's the classic tale of young David Balfour, who is kidnapped and pawned off on a ship's crew, only to find a heroic ally in the Jacobite Alan Breck Stewart.

This hardcover collection also contains a special feature - a biography of Robert Louis Stevenson written by a distant relation of his: yours truly (according to family lore).

I campaigned for this feature on the strength of my family ties, but I'd really like to try my hand at adapting a Stevenson story myself - the Suicide Club, Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde, Markheim, the Bottle Imp - there are still plenty of great tales by Stevenson worthy of adaptation.

No comments: