Thursday, November 5, 2009

Another book splurge

The other day the library held a book sale, offering up discards and duplicates (many of them 100+ year old hardcovers) at bargain prices, nothing more expensive than $1. Now, I was present to help set up, maintain and take down the sale, but that also meant I had fine opportunities to look over the wares and set aside whatever I was interested in. I didn't buy everything I was interested in, out of consideration for my bookshelves. I was interested in a copy of H.G. Wells' autobiography, but doubted that I would ever read it. Restricting myself to books I wanted as reading material, not shelf decorations, I came up with:
  • The Confessions of St. Augustine, 1838.
  • The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde, 1891.
  • The Complete Works of O. Henry, 1928.
  • Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Carroll, 1932.
  • The Devil and Daniel Webster by Stephen Vincent Benet, 1937.
  • The Heart of the Matter by Graham Greene, 1948.
  • Escape or Die by Paul Brickhill, 1952.
  • Spark of Life by Erich Maria Remarque, 1952.
  • The Flying Inn by G.K. Chesterton, 1958.
  • Eyeless in Gaza by Aldous Huxley, 1961.
  • This Gun for Hire by Graham Greene, 1982.

I'm in good shape in terms of reading material for the next few months!

No comments: