Saturday, October 17, 2015

Young Fears 17: V: The Final Battle

Each October I like to run a series of Halloween-themed posts on this blog. All this month, I'll be telling anecdotes about things which frightened me while growing up.

I recall really enjoying the mini-series V as a child. I don't know why, but I think my parents let my sister and I watch it unsupervised. Good idea, bad idea? Who can say. What I know for certain is that V: The Final Battle went a step too far for me. The climax of the first chapter features a human girl giving birth to a seemingly normal child - and then a Visitor infant. The sight of this Visitor baby emerging on the operating table absolutely repulsed me; I don't think programs I watched normally dealt with the subject of pregnancy and birth and this was perhaps not the best way to introduce me to that subject! Although today I see the Visitor baby as a barely-convincing puppet, it hit me as hard as the chest-bursting scene in Alien struck others. Aliens from within! Eugh!

No comments: