Tuesday, September 11, 2018

The Great Marvel Hoax

Currently I'm reading the book Bunk: The True Story of Hoaxes, Hucksters, Humbug, Plagiarists, Forgeries, and Phonies by Kevin Young and it is quite a fascinating read as the author attempts to connect the various kinds of frauds people perpetuate. I thought of this book when I recently bought an issue of Marvel UK's Planet of the Apes magazine featuring Apeslayer.
You know, Apeslayer! That great Marvel science fiction hero Apeslayer! Surely every Planet of the Apes fan remembers Apeslayer?

Marvel's weekly comics in the UK always had a conundrum - how to fill their pages every week when the US comics they were publishing only came out once a month? You might be able to divide a monthly comic into four issues (filling up the rest of the book with text features or installments of other Marvel characters with a similar audience), but it would take just one month with five shipping weeks to throw you off your schedule. Therefore, the closer the UK's first issue release date was to that of the original US first issue, the quicker they'd exhaust their supply.

In the late 1970s when Marvel UK faced this issue on Star Wars they simply published original material. The audience for Star Wars was so vast - and so instrumental in Marvel staving off the market implosion of the late 70s - that they could justify the expense. But two years earlier in 1975 when Planet of the Apes ran low on US material there was just one thing to do: hoax their way out.
The editors of Planet of the Apes took Marvel's hero Killraven and edited his name into 'Apeslayer' then darkened his hair and modified all Martians/Martian slavers into apes. Frankly, they spent so much time touching up the art and text they might almost just as well have printed new stories! But at least it meant they didn't have to plot any new stories.
"...The War of the Worlds-- I mean, Apes!"
This hoax was a pretty flimsy one and I have to assume a number of UK readers didn't fall for it. I mean, the kind of Martian technology seen in Killraven was a lot more advanced than what the Planet of the Apes apes were utilizing. Also, if they were an astute Marvel Comics fan, they'd already read those Killraven stories on first publication and would have put two and two together pretty fast.

Apeslayer! When your comic must be delivered in 30 minutes or less!




1 comment:

Jane Elizabeth said...

Dare I say only a comic-book fanatic would care? I often laugh at the things I take umbrage about, like changes to the original Bladerunner to make it more "clear". Ha. I loved the Harrison Ford voice-over in that movie because I knew basically zero about film noir and the history of using male protagonist voice-overs. Since Harrison Ford went on to become famous as a voice, presumably the voice-over grates less nowadays. It's definitely true that OTR has too much use of voice-overs in my opinion due to the constraints but OTR should be dialog-driven and not merely descriptive.

I hate books on tape, even those with sound insertions and voice changes and the like but the narrator persona is obliviously often required. I tend not to like Quiet Please and Arch Obler's stuff because at times there's just one person speaking to himself. Even the somewhat overrated Thing on the Fourble Board lacks vocal interest for me.

I especially seek out OTR that features authentic and strong female vocal performances and that's Suspense and Escape to me primarily where the women often overshadow and are more memorable than the men. I hate Mercedes McCambridge, however and refuse to listen to anything that primarily features her or at least not re-listen which is a shame because she does a version of Carmilla, my favorite vampire story.

I take voice classes and have had vocal surgery to improve my voice so I am increasingly fascinated with OTR as an expression of vocal and dramatic beauty and less so as being merely story-driven.

I really like that you still care about the things that you care about and are willing to keep such a nice blog going for well nigh onto 15 years. I have a couple that are less read than yours, by far, I am sure but you are still putting yourself out there and in a way where, it's hard to recant as opposed to re-consider. I would like to meet more people into OTR but I sort of pre-judge my own group as being "geeks" but you clearly are no geek. You also write as a gentleman and with consideration to the creative artists. You have so much stuff that I keep skipping around because you don't seem to be able to search from the beginning easily.

Best,
Janey