Sunday, December 8, 2019

RIP: Rene Auberjonois

Today it was reported actor Rene Auberjonois has passed away, aged 79.

Auberjonois played the character of Odo for all seven seasons of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine; he portrayed my favourite character on that, my favourite Star Trek series. I don't think Odo was (or is) an easy character for most viewers to relate to, but I was drawn to how Odo wanted to be liked and accepted by the people who surrounded him, yet did not want to alter his behaviour to accomodate others; I suppose I related to his strong introversion. It's also somewhat ironic that he portrayed a shapeshifter who was extremely against change; a semi-liquid being who was the most rigid person on the station.

I also came to appreciate how amazing Auberjonois' performance was, considering he wore a mask over his face. He couldn't emote with any facial tics other than his eyelids, yet he conveyed so many different moods from Odo through that mask.

I haven't seen much of his non-Star Trek work (M*A*S*H, The Little Mermaid, Justice League, Panache) but it was always pleasant to stumble across him and his quite-distinctive voice. Rest in peace, Mr. Auberjonois.

No comments: