Thursday, April 11, 2024

RIP: Trina Robbins

Comic book writer and artist Trina Robbins died yesterday, aged 85. She was the partner of comic book artist Steve Leialoha.

I didn't begin to take notice of Robbins until after I became a Sax Rohmer fan and went hunting for an adaptation of his novel Dope that was serialized in Eclipse magazine and Eclipse Monthly. Robbins was the artist and adaptor of Rohmer's story and I found her art very appealing - intended for a mature audience, but drawn with simple lines evocative of Dan DeCarlo or Herge.

In time, I learned Robbins was a major historian in the comics community, especially in highlighting the history of female protagonists and female comic book creators. When Marvel began offering a number of anthologies with all-female creative teams (such as Girl Comics), Robbins was involved in those works which I felt lent them credence and continuity.

Rest in peace, Ms. Robbins.

No comments: