Friday, June 21, 2024

RIP: Peter B. Gillis

Yesterday the death of my friend Peter B. Gillis was announced.

Peter B. Gillis was a comic book writer who worked primarily from 1978-1990. He might be best-remembered as the creator of Strikeforce: Morituri. He was also the writer of the Defenders for many years with artist Don Perlin, who likewise passed away just the other month.

He became one of my favourite writers after I became enthralled by the Eternals. I loved the story he began in the 12-issue Eternals mini-series he started in 1985 with Sal Buscema and it was an enormous shame that he wasn't able to finish the story, leaving after the 8th issue.

But the earliest comic of his that made an impression upon me was What If #46: "What If Spider-Man's Uncle Ben Had Lived?" He was paired there with artist Ron Frenz, who did his best to ape and even recreate moments from Steve Ditko's earliest Amazing Spider-Man stories. In Gillis' story, Uncle Ben lives and Aunt May dies; Ben quickly surmisees Peter is Spider-Man and refuses to see his nephew meekly submit as his reputation is smeared in the newspapers. Gillis imagined that Ben had a real personality and I think it was the first time any Spider-Man story attempted to give Uncle Ben some depth.

Through Facebook I became friends with him and had a few private conversations with him. I'm happy I was able to tell him how much I loved his work. I found him very humble and sensitive. I fear that as he was embroiled in legal battles with Marvel over Strikeforce: Morituri that his legacy might not loom large compared to his contemporaries. But to me, at least, he was one of the greats.

Rest in peace, Mr. Gillis.

No comments: