Monday, October 5, 2009

Great Films of the Golden Age Part 5: 20th Century Fox

Although known primarily today as a purveyor of punditry, Fox was one of the largest studios of the so-called "Golden Age," although they didn't have as much star power as some of the others. Still, they had Will Rogers, who, up until his death, was the most popular film entertainer in the USA. Later, Alice Faye, Betty Grable and Shirley Temple were their biggest stars.

My favorite Golden Age Fox films in chronological order are:

2 social issue pictures, 1 biography, 1 anthology, 1 film noir, 2 thrillers, 1 mystery, 1 courtroom drama and 1 comedy. The Third Man isn't actually a Fox film - it was only distributed in the US by Fox - but that's good enough for me; it's my all-time favorite movie.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't really associate 20th Century Fox film co. with Fox News. Thus, my vision of these classic films as well as of Star Wars remains undefiled and pure.