Wednesday, February 21, 2024

M3 Memories

It had been more than a dozen years since my last visit to the USA; I wasn't particularly eager to see the USA again. At first, when I heard my Uncle Steve was the keynote speaker at the Moblizing Medical Missions (M3) conference in Houston, I thought of it only in terms of what I should share with his supporters, in case any of them wanted to connect with him during his brief visit to the USA.

But when I learned M3 was being held by Lakewood Church, which my wife had attended online regularly during the pandemic, I told my uncle how enthused she was to hear of his role in the conference. He came back suggesting to his parnters at Hope for Angola that it would be a great idea if I attended to give away copies of the Benefit of Steel, the biography I wrote of my uncle.

It took some careful arranging, but my wife and I were able to join my uncle at M3. We took in the entire conference, gave away 160 signed copies of the Benefit of Steel and help connect a number of people to what my uncle is doing in Angola. Hopefully some of these people will eventually visit Angola for themselves and participate first-hand in the work we're doing there. For myself, I've agreed to work more closely with Hope for Angola in the future, in addition to the other roles I'm holding in Angolan mission work.

It was a brief visit and not exactly a vacation, but my wife was thrilled to see Lakewood Church and attend their Sunday service in person. We came away impressed by the helpfulness and generosity of the many people who helped solve logistical problems for us (transportation) or paid for our meals. It was a very special visit.

My Uncle Steve delivered this talk, which is available via YouTube:

No comments: