Monday, February 5, 2024

RIP: Carl Weathers

Carl Weathers passed away last week at age 76. Most of the reporting online talks him up as a performer in the Rocky franchise and for his role in the original Predator. I like those movies quite a bit; Predator is one of the most ridiculously macho movies ever made, and kind of funny because of how over-the-top macho it is. Rocky, despite its reputation, was a heartfelt story that connects to me on an entirely different level.

Having that background with Weathers, I was very pleased when he turned up in the television series the Mandalorian; his appearance in the first episode surprised me and was the first signal I received that the casting work on that series was top-notch. I enjoyed seeing reappear on that series (even direct an episode) even though the series itself just kept running in circles.

But if I'm honest, my favourite role Carl Weathers ever played in was when he portrayed... Carl Weathers on television's Arrested Development.

I laughed a lot at him satirizing himself. Based on his willingness to make fun of himself, he must have been a pretty great guy. Rest in peace, Mr. Weathers.

No comments: