Saturday, October 21, 2023

OTR Halloween 2023 Day 21: "Dark Grey Magic"

"Well, I bought a book. Yes, I did. 45 cents. You guess. No; no; no, you give up? Magic. No, no, no, not card tricks, magic, real magic, black magic, just like real! Sure!"

As I've indicated before, I'm partial to the whimsical episodes of Quiet, Please, perhaps moreso than the typical series fan. Much like "Prest-o Change-o, I'm Sure," "Dark Grey Magic" concerns a hapless man who comes into magical power. Unlike the previous episode where the hapless practitioner was corrupted by the power at his fingertips, "Dark Grey Magic" has a protagonist so hapless - heck, his name is Meredith Barleycorn! - that he's practically immune to corruption. The drama comes from a demon named Bodge who keeps trying to corrupt Meredith, with little to show for it.

This is an episode where our protagonist reads aloud from a magic book: "How to Ride a Broom; oh, wait, that's for girls." That's my kind of humour, I'm into this episode.

"Dark Grey Magic" was originally broadcast May 1, 1949. You can listen to the episode at Quiet, Please.org.

Image created using Firefly.

No comments: